Walter E. Macpherson, MD,
Walter E. Macpherson, MD, 1899-19961924 Graduated from the College of Medical Evangelists
1926-36 Served the School of Medicine CME/LLU as instructor
1942-48 President CME
1951-54 President CME
1954-62 Professor and Dean
Walter E. Macpherson, former CME/LLU president, dies at age 96
[View Original Source]
Walter E. Macpherson, MD, died in Glendale, California, on April 29 at the age of 96. He served the College of Medical Evangelists/Loma Linda University for 48 years, as professor of physiology and medicine; chair, department of medicine; dean of the School of Medicine; vice president for medical affairs; and president of the institution.
He was born in Wadsworth, Nevada, on December 19, 1899. He attended school in Sparks, Nevada, before taking premed at Pacific Union College in Angwin, California. After receiving his degree from the School of Medicine in 1924, Dr. Macpherson interned at the Los Angeles County Hospital. After completing his internship and a year of post-graduate study at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri, he began his teaching career at Loma Linda in 1926.
He was soon made assistant dean of the School of Medicine and was also seeing patients. In 1936 he was asked to be associate dean on the Los Angeles campus, and was also on staff at the Los Angeles County Hospital. Dr. Macpherson served as president of the College of Medical Evangelists from 1942-48, and again from 1962-67. He served as dean of the School of Medicine from 1954-62, and chair of the department of medicine from 1939-52. He was vice president emeritus since 1967.
In 1963, Dr. Macpherson participated in the founding of the Walter E. Macpherson Society and generously lent his name to the organization and its efforts to raise funds for the support of the School of Medicine. He served on the board of the Walter E. Macpherson Society since its inception.
He was the first graduate of LLU to become president of the Los Angeles Academy of Medicine, and the first to be certified by the American Board of Internal Medicine after its establishment in 1937. He was president of the Alumni Association of the College of Medical Evangelists in 1931-32, and again in 1939-40. Dr. Macpherson was named School of Medicine alumnus of the year in 1948, and University Alumnus in 1971.
Walter E. Macpherson Society
Founded in 1963, the Walter E. Macpherson Society was the dream of Drs. Harriman F. Jones '37, Louis L. Smith '49, Leland R. House '34, and Roger W.Barnes '23. These four doctors organized and promoted the new Society within the Alumni Association.
Dr. Macpherson's name was chosen for the Society because he epitomized the ideal of a dedicated physician in his service to the School of Medicine and his students.
- To promote the advancement of the undergraduate and graduate teaching programs through financial support to the School of Medicine.
- To foster and strengthen unity and loyalty among the School of Medicine Alumni and friends.